Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Healthy fingerfood No.2: Soybeans in a pod

I have to admit I'm really not a big fan of vegetables. 
But just like artichokes (and some other vegetables...) soybeans in a pod, 
also called "Edamame" (Japan), "Kong" (Korea) or "Maodou" (China), are an exception.
You either steam or boil them in hot salted water for approx. 8 minutes.
Drain the pods in a colander.
Sprinkle them with salt.
Serve hot or cold in a bowl and with an extra bowl for the empty pods.

 
















You eat the beans by squeezing them out of the pods.
I usually do that by pulling the pods through my slightly clenched teeth.
That way the beans directly pop into my mouth and I still get some of the salt that sticks on the pods.
Other people prefer splitting the pod with their fingers in order to get to the beans.
However, soybeans in a pod are easy to make and a delicious, yet healthy snack!

And yes, you can just eat meat WITH it!

No comments:

Post a Comment