Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Vegan Experiment - Day 2

Day two of my vegan experiment is over. I feel pretty good, so far. Still no withdrawal symptoms.
I cannot say that I feel like re-born or something. But things are normal.

I started the day with a vanilla soy milk breakfast. Yeah, that's correct. Since I have it at home, I had to give it another try. I actually like vanilla soy milk. Just not in drip-coffee...

I made a shake that I have made before and which already is almost vegan.
You mix a banana with 200-250g of yoghurt and vanilla soy milk (200-300ml). It tastes delicious! Of course, this time I used soy yoghurt. The result was not as good as with normal yoghurt. But still good. Also, I don't know if I'm being too harsh about this. I wonder if I would taste a difference with this drink at all if I didn't know it was with soy yoghurt instead of with the nomral one. A good side-effect was, that after drinking the shake, I didn't taste the soymilk in my coffee anymore.

Improvement, wohoo!





For lunch I had pretty much the same as the day before. Avocado-tomato bagel with roasted pine nuts.
Only that I added some vegan cheddar cheese to it. The cheese itself isn't that impressive. In combination with other things, for example on a sandwich, it's fine and adds a tiny little bit of sort-of cheese flavor and texture to it. Even though it's much more crumbly than normal cheddar.








I went for this oatmeal-chocolate-energy bar
as dessert, which wasn't that bad either.
At least it tasted like what it was -
oatmeal with a hint of dairy-free chocolate.
And it totally satisfied my needs and got rid
of the sugar craving!













 After work I bought a bunch of vegetables, potatoes, sweet potato, leek, purple carrots, turnip, red peppers, red onion, pumpkin and garlic. I chopped everything up into bite-szed pieces, added a pieces of apple, rosemary, cinnamon and nutmeg and seasoned it with salt, pepper, sugar and balsamico.
I threw everything into a greased (olive oil) baking pan and cooked it in the oven for about 30-35 minutes at 180°C. I sprinkled some of the vegan cheese over one part of the vegetable mix.
Unfortunately the cheese didn't melt.





Everything still tasted pretty good.
Probably because I cooked instead
of eating another one of these shitty
ready-made vegan meat substitutes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Juila,
    I really enjoy reading your blog. Don't even remember how I stumbled upon it, but the funny thing is I actually live in the same area. Not sure if you know that there is a vegan supermarket on Schivelbeiner Str (next to REWE). They also have a bistro. Could help with your experiment. I did a vegan months not long ago, but I am already vegetarian so it wasn't as hard as for you. I found out that coffee with soymilk tastes pretty good if you have it like a latte macchiato or cappuccino. Had a really good one at Cake CK on Marienburger Str.
    Kudos for trying this and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mone!
    Veganz, the store on Shivelbeiner, is exactly where I went to buy some of the food. It is pretty impressive, but quite expensive. I totally agree with you on the coffee. A coffee latte with soy milk tastes indeed much better than siimple drip coffee with it. I also start getting used to the soy milk flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is indeed expensive. But it is good to have it so close, if you need something special. What I like about them is that they are not like the usual vegan store, they have a different approach.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to recommend 2 recipes:
    The egglant&cashew creme is soooo good:
    http://veganyumyum.com/2008/07/miniature-napoleons-with-eggplant-creme/
    And the cake is killer! Moist and delicious, although it contains coconut as a substitute for butter it doesn't taste very coconutty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, forgot the link for the cake:
    http://veganyumyum.com/2008/02/mini-coconut-blood-orange-bundt-cakes/

    ReplyDelete